Monday, March 3, 2008

the god of big things

These days, I dress in brown when I leave home for work. My clothes, shoes, hair, car... It's a deep, dusty shade of brown that has nothing to do with spring-summer fashion shows on FTV or Vogue.

All the credit goes to a 1 k stretch of dug up road that starts outside my apartment and proceeds to drive me crazy.

The moment I step out, I’m engulfed in thick dust clouds. The asphalt on the road (I call it a road only because profanities are not encouraged on blogs) is a distant memory obscured by the grime on my windscreen and the grit in my eyes.

But as they say, every cloud has a silver lining, and this applies even to dust clouds. Mine appeared this week in the form of a road roller, parked on the side of what used to be a street. It wasn't rolling or doing anything productive, but it was painted with the most amazing graphics. A great match for the much publicized riksha art of Bangladesh!

Hats off to the guy who drives/owns this road roller. I love the spirit of this person who has managed to think of art while encountering dusty unroads for a living. I took a couple of pictures and smiled all the way home.

And now, my teeth and cell phone match the rest of my ensemble.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha!
    and that i would say is an ice breaker from the chaotic roads of bangalore eh?

    hilarious indeed

    ReplyDelete